Maryland Mothers at the White House
Mother's Day came early for two of Maryland's strongest health care reformers - Robyn Martin and Alycia Steinberg. They joined President Obama in the East Room of the White House. Watch video of the event and hear the story of Alycia's daughter. Our favorite part starts at minute 8.
Maryland Health Progress Act of 2013
Governor O’Malley signed the Maryland Health Progress Act of 2013 on April 25th. This is the last of a three year process to build the state’s Health Benefit Exchange and its public face, Maryland Health Connection. Read our Advocate's Guide to learn more about the law’s key provisions.
Maryland Health Connection Announces Six Regional Connector Entities
On April 25, 2013, Maryland's six regional Connector Entities were announced. They will organize partners and services across their region and provide a single point of engagement with the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange and Maryland Health Connection.
You can connect with the Connector Entities:
- Capital Region: Montgomery County Department of Health & Human Services
- Central Region: Health Care Access Maryland
- Lower Eastern Shore Region: Worchester County Health Department
- Southern Region: Calvert Health Care Solutions
- Upper Eastern Shore Region: Seedco, Inc.
- Western Region: Healthy Howard, Inc.
Keeping Members and the Public Informed
Maryland’s health care reform efforts can only succeed if we all stay informed and engaged. The Coalition offers many opportunities to do just this. Upcoming events include:
- The second in our webinar series – Leveraging Health Care Reform: Cultural Competency and Health Literacy – in June. This will focus on the Connector Entities and Maryland’s outreach and enrollment efforts. Watch for more information soon, or contact us. Access resources and presentations from our first webinar – The Big Picture.
- Learn more about the new National Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) Standards. These help guide health professionals and organizations in their delivery of culturally respectful and linguistically responsive care and have been broadened to, including race, ethnicity, language, spirituality, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- For non-profits serving Howard County the Coalition has designed the conference Health Care Reform and Non-Profits: A New Prescription! This will be held on May 21, 2013, 8:30am-3:00pm, Ten Oaks Ballroom, Clarksville, Maryland. The conference is sponsored by the Horizon Foundation in partnership with Association of Community Services (ACS), and Healthy Howard. Seats are going fast - Register Now!
- Contact us if you would like to coordinate a similar program or design a specific one for your county or community. We can provide speakers and materials.
The Coalition is pleased to announce that:
- Adrienne Ellis, Director of the Parity Project at the Mental Health Association of Maryland has joined our Steering Committee.
- Madeleine Shea, who is moving to Delmarva Foundation in June, has joined our Advisory Committee.
- Rev. Debra Hickman of Sisters Together and Reaching and Alma Roberts of Baltimore Healthy Start are co-chairs of an exciting new Coalition project – Maryland’s Health Equity Summit: Creating a Culture of Health. We will be sharing more information soon.
Let Us Know What You Think
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Tell us how we are doing either on Facebook or by email. Really, we need to know!
- Let us know what information you need and how we can help you.
The Coalition is commited to working with our members across Maryland and with our national partners, including RaisingWomen's Voices and the National Women's Health Network. We are particularly excited to be one of 10 states included in the National Women's Law Center State of Women project. Contact our Health Policy Analyst and Project Coordinator Sandy Kick to learn more or contact Zenobia Taylor-Weiss, our Outreach and Education Coordinator, to tell us how we are doing.
We look forward to working with our members and we need your help:
- If you are not a member of the Coalition, join now.
- Follow the Coalition on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
- Give us your ideas - post your comments on Facebook or email them to us.
- Strut Your Stuff for Health Care Reform with a minimum donation of $25 we will give you our great Health Care. Get it. pin and our Signature Scarf. Contact us or donate.
- You can support the Coalition and health care reform by getting one of the Coalition's new signature bags. Order it now for just $15, or buy it at one of our upcoming forums.